Organizing Your Practice Time
With many students having more free time at home during this pandemic, I know each and every one of you is wondering how you can spend all of your extra time perfecting your musical instrument. Have no fear- I have compiled a list of some useful practice tips to make your practicing fun and your music teachers happy!
- Vary the way you practice and plan what you want to accomplish in each session. After, evaluate whether you achieved the goals you wanted to achieve in your practice session.
- Work on one task at a time. Don’t just repeat the music from beginning to end. For one task, practice a few measures of a particular song. For another task, try practicing a specific passage using just one hand.
- Short practice sessions (20 to 30 minutes in length) allow you to focus on one or two activities.
- Take frequent breaks! Don’t overwhelm yourself while practicing.
- Practice listening to your music. Learning an instrument isn’t just about improving your technique. It’s about understanding the small special nuances that make your piece sound great.
Remember that learning an instrument is a long (yet rewarding) journey and not just a destination. I hope that you all have fun practicing using these tips, and definitely let us know what your favorite practice methods are. Happy practicing!