Examples of live Skype lessons
Skype Instructions and Tips
- Download Skype: https://www.skype.com/en/get-skype/
- Click here to send us your Skype username/email.
- Add your instructor as a contact. Their usernames are below.
- Be ready 5 minutes before your scheduled start time. Your Skype lesson is at the same time as your in-person lesson. Your instructor will be awaiting your call.
- Use headphones to better hear your instructor.
- For piano students using a phone, we recommend getting a phone holder like this to give your instructor a better view of your keys.
- Call SAMA (210-681-7262) to do a test call before your lesson. We recommend doing the test call a day before.
- Give Skype permission to use your device’s microphone and camera
Instructor Skype Usernames
How long will SAMA offer Skype lessons?
Once we resume in-person lessons, SAMA will continue to offer Skype lessons to those students who do not feel comfortable coming in person quite yet. We want to ensure that all SAMA students are learning in an environment where they feel safe.
How do Skype lessons work?
Skype is a free video-calling software that allows your instructor to continue music lessons with you from the comfort of your home. They’ll be able to hear and see you playing and also give notes and instructions on playing style, dynamics, and technique. Basically, the only difference between Skype and in-person lessons is that you and your instructor are not in the same room, but they are still able to communicate and teach as if they were.
Do I need a special webcam?
You do not need a special webcam. All you need is an internet connection and either a smart phone, tablet, or laptop. Most devices today have cameras built into them, so external webcams shouldn’t be necessary. You just need to be sure that you give Skype permission to use your camera and microphone.
Will my instructor call me? Or do I call my instructor?
We send you your instructor’s username/email so you should be able to call them at your lesson time. However, please send us the username/email used to set up your account so your instructor can contact you should you have trouble connecting with them. Click here to tell us your username.
When will my Skype lesson time be?
All lessons are conducted at the same day and time as your usual in-person lesson. If you need to change days or times, please contact us. 210-681-7262
Skype software FAQ: https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA34713/faq-and-known-issues-with-skype